GitHub Project Page
AdLib file formats reference library entry:
- A: The file format is already (partly) supported by AdPlug.
- D: File format documentation/specification is available.
- E: Editor software is available.
- P: Player software is available.
- M: Test music files are available.
- S: Source code is available.
Video Game Music Format
A D M
VGM (Video Game Music) is a sample-accurate sound logging format for many
machines and sound chips. It logs the commands sent to the sound chips, so
the resulting files are much smaller than mp3s.
The normal extension is .vgm but file can also be gzip compressed into
The format has a long history, it started as a way to log Sega Master
System music, and later more and more chips were added to its list, and today
it supports dozens of chips and has features such as compression and tagging.
Format documentation is available